The following terms constitute an agreement between you and My Compassion, Inc. (“MyCompassion”), the operator of www.mycompassion.org (the “Site”).
The following terms constitute an agreement between you and My Compassion, Inc. (“My Compassion”), the operator of www.mycompassion.org (the “Site”). This agreement governs your use of the Site, both as a casual visitor and or registered member as described below.
By accessing or using the Site, you agree to be bound by the terms of this Agreement. To the extent you register on the Site as a member, then in addition to the terms that are applicable to all users of the Site, the terms that apply only to members shall apply to you too.
Children under the age of 18 are prohibited from registering on the site. By registering you represent that you are age 18 or older.
This Site Does Not Provide Medical Advice
All of the material provided on the Site, such as text, treatments, dosages, outcomes, charts, patient profiles, graphics, photographs, images, advice, messages, forum postings, and any other material provided on the Site are for informational purposes only and are not a substitute for professional medical advice or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding your health. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this Site.
If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. My Compassion does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site. Reliance on any information provided by MyCompassion, by persons appearing on the Site at the invitation of MyCompassion, or by other members is solely at your own risk.
No Interference with Operation of Site
You may not use any robot, spider, scraper, or other automated means to access the Site or content or services provided on the Site for any purposes. You may not post content on the Site that contains any viruses, Trojan horses, worms, time bombs, spiders, or other computer programming routines that are intended to damage, detrimentally interfere with, surreptitiously intercept or expropriate any system, data or personal information. You shall not attempt to make the Site unavailable through denial-of-service attacks or similar means. You shall not use contact information provided by members, or collect information about our members, to facilitate the sending of unsolicited bulk
Digital Millennium Copyright Act
If you are a copyright owner or an agent thereof and believe that any User Submission or other content at this Site infringes upon your copyright, you may submit a written notification pursuant to the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (“DMCA”) (see 17 U.S.C. 512(c)(3) for further information) by providing our Copyright Agent (listed below) with the following information: (i) an electronic or physical signature of a person authorized to act on behalf of the owner of an exclusive right that is allegedly infringed; (ii) a description of the copyrighted work claimed to have been infringed or if multiple copyrighted works are covered by a notification, a representative list of such works at our Site; (iii) a description of the location on the Site of the allegedly infringing material(s); (iv) your address, telephone number, and email address; (v) a written statement that you have a good faith belief that use of the material(s) in the manner complained of is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or the law; and (vi) a written statement that the information in the notification is accurate, and under penalty of perjury, that you are authorized to act on behalf of the owner of an exclusive right that is allegedly infringed.
If a User Submission that you submitted has been removed as a result of a notification as described above and you believe that such a User Submission or portion of a User Submission was posted lawfully, please contact us about our counter-notification procedure through which you can dispute the allegation and request re-posting of the User Submission content at issue.
MyCompassion’s designated Copyright Agent for notice of claims of infringement is:
My Compassion Inc.
PO Box 1701
Taylor, MI 48180
Only notices of alleged copyright infringement and requests about the counter-notification procedures should go to the Copyright Agent; any other feedback, comments, requests for technical support, and other communications should be directed to My Compassion at email@example.com. You acknowledge that if you fail to comply with all of the notice requirements of the DMCA, your notice may not be valid.
Links to Other Websites
MyCompassion may contain links to other websites that are not under the control of MyCompassion. The inclusion of any link does not imply endorsement by MyCompassion of such site and MyCompassion is not responsible for the content of such linked sites.
Modifications to this Agreement
We reserve the right to modify this Agreement at any time, and without prior notice, by posting amended terms on this Site. We encourage you to review this Agreement periodically for any updates or changes, which will have an update effective date.
Disclaimer of Warranties
The Site and the content and services made available on the Site are provided on an “as is” and “as available” basis. MyCompassion does not make and disclaims all express and implied warranties and representations, including, but not limited to, any implied warranty of fitness for a particular purpose, with regard to the Site, the Site content, or any advice or services provided through the Site to the extent permitted by law. MyCompassion does not warrant that access to the Site or its content or services will be uninterrupted or error-free or that defects in the Site will be corrected.
Limitation of Liability
Under no circumstances shall MyCompassion, its partners, contributors, agents, employees, directors, or affiliates be liable for any indirect, incidental, special, or consequential damages (even if it has been advised of the possibility of such damages) due to your use of this Site or due to your reliance on any of the content contained or the services provided on the Site.
You agree to indemnify and hold harmless MyCompassion, its officers, employees, agents, subsidiaries, affiliates and other partners, from and against any claims, actions or demands, liabilities and settlements including without limitation, reasonable legal and accounting fees, resulting from, or alleged to result from, your violation of this Agreement.
Governing Law and Venue
This agreement shall be governed by the laws of the State of Michigan and the applicable federal laws of the United States of America. All disputes arising under, or in any way connected with membership in or use of the Site, shall be litigated exclusively in the state and federal courts residing in the State of Michigan, and in no other court or jurisdiction. You hereby submit to the jurisdiction of the state and federal courts sitting in the State of Michigan.
My Compassion and the My Compassion logo are trademarks of My Compassion. You agree not to display or use these trademarks in any manner without My Compassion’s prior, written permission.
My Compassion may assign this agreement at any time to a subsidiary or parent company or to a successor to its business as part of a merger or sale of substantially all of its assets. You may not assign or transfer this agreement.
If any provision of this Agreement is held to be unenforceable for any reason, the remaining provisions will be unaffected and remain in full force and effect.
For any questions or comments, or to report violations of this agreement, let us know, or contact us at:
My Compassion Inc.
Attn: User Agreement Issues
PO Box 1701
Taylor, MI 48180
Our goal is to provide a platform for patients who want to share their health information to create collective knowledge about disease, health, and treatments with the use of cannabinoids.
MyCompassion (www.mycompassion.org) (“Site”) is a nonprofit sharing web site. Our goal is to provide a platform for patients who want to share their health information to create collective knowledge about disease, health, and treatments with the use of cannabinoids. We know our success in achieving this goal depends on a shared belief in My Compassion’s Mission and Vision. Being open about one’s health is not for everyone, and we strive, with full transparency, to outline the benefits and risks of being part of this sharing site, including those related to privacy.
INFORMATION MY COMPASSION COLLECTS
Some of the information that Members provide about themselves may be shared with the My Compassion community, Partners, and others (“Shared Info”). Examples of Shared Info that Members may submit at the Site, including through their health profile (“My profile”), may include:
- Biographical information, e.g. photograph, biography, gender, age, location (city, state and country), general notes;
- Condition/disease information, e.g. diagnosis date, first symptom, family history;
- Treatment information, e.g. treatment start dates, stop dates, dosages, side effects, treatment evaluations;
- Symptom information, e.g. severity, duration;
- Primary and secondary outcome scores over time, e.g. Mood Map, Quality of Life, weight;
- Sensor information, e.g. personal activity trackers;
- Laboratory results and biomarkers, e.g. CD-4 count, viral load, creatinine, voice features, images;
- Genetic information, e.g. information on individual genes and/or entire genetic scans;
- Individual and aggregated survey responses;
- Information shared via free text fields, e.g. the forum, treatment evaluations, surveys, annotations, journals, feeds, adverse event reports; and
- Connections to other people on the Site, e.g. invited care team member, mentors, feeds, subscriptions.
In the course of using the Site, Members may share information that could be used to reasonably identify them (“Personal Information”), including name, photograph, and email address. When a Member chooses to share Personal Information via a free text field (e.g. forum, treatment evaluations, annotations, journals, feeds and adverse event reports) and photos or images, the information shall be treated as Shared Info.
Some of the information that Members enter into certain fields when registering to use or using the Site will not be shared (“Restricted Info”). The type of Restricted Info that Members may submit at the Site may include:
- Name, as collected as part of registration or in a Member’s Account Information;
- Email address, as collected and verified as part of registration or in a Member’s Account Information;
- Password, as collected as part of registration or in a Member’s Account Information;
- Mailing address, as collected via email, forms, or private message as part of Member programs such as t-shirt giveaways and My Compassion Events;
- Date of birth, as collected in My Profile; and
- Private messages.
When a Member enters Personal Information, including name and email address, as part of registering to use MyCompassion, that Personal Information is treated as Restricted Info.
A cookie is a small data file that often includes an anonymous, unique token, which is sent to your browser from a website’s computers and may be stored on your computer’s hard drive. Two types of cookies are required to use the Site:
- Session Cookies are temporary cookies that remain only until you log out of the website or exit your web browser. Session Cookies do not store any Personal Information, only a unique visitor ID number that may be used to ensure Members are properly authenticated and can view site information.
- Persistent Cookies remain in the cookie file of your browser for much longer, even after you leave the Site. Persistent Cookies also do not store any Personal Information. Persistent Cookies store preferences that should persist from visit to visit, like “Remember Me,” and a unique token to enable us to understand how Members use the Site (“Site Usage”).
HOW YOUR DATA IS USED
Members should expect that every piece of information they submit (even if it is not currently displayed), except for Restricted Info, may be shared with the community, other patients, and Partners. Members are encouraged to share health information but should consider that the more information that is entered, the more likely it is that a Member could be located or identified.
There are instances where both Shared Info and Restricted Info, including Personal Information, may be used and disclosed including, but not limited to, the following:
- My Compassion uses Shared Info, Restricted Info, and Site Usage internally, as needed, for research, for maintenance and operation of the Site, and to create the best possible tools and functionality for patients.
- My Compassion may use a Member’s data in the case of an emergency or other circumstance that we determine requires a member of the management team to directly contact the Member.
- My Compassion may share or disclose a Member’s data where required by law or to comply with legal process.
- In the event My Compassion goes through a business transition, such as a merger, acquisition by another organization, or sale of all or a portion of its assets, the Shared Info and Restricted Info, including Personal Information, might be among the assets transferred. Members will be notified via this Site of any such change in ownership or control of Personal Information.
HOW SHARED INFO IS USED
Shared Info is viewable via My Profile and through aggregated reports that are made available to other My Compassion Members. In some instances, this Shared Info is also viewable to those not registered to join My Compassion (“Non-members”). We report publicly Shared Info in aggregate, such as the number of patients on a particular treatment or the number of patients experiencing a particular symptom. If a Member chooses to designate My Profile as “Public” (see Privacy Settings below), their Shared Info can also be viewed by Non-members and linked with aggregated reports.
In addition to serving the individual needs of our Members, My Compassion and its Partners are interested in better understanding the patient experience and improving treatment options and health outcomes for everyone. For example, we may look at questions such as, “Do certain treatments work better for some types of people versus others?” My Compassion provides Shared Info, in individual and collected format, to Partners and other third parties for use in scientific research and market research. When providing this information, My Compassion removes Members’ Restricted Info to reduce the likelihood of re-identification prior to sharing information with Partners.
My Compassion also provides a voluntary opt-in service to allow Partners to directly communicate with Members through our system.
My Compassion may also periodically ask Members to complete short surveys about their experiences (including questions about products and services). Survey responses are analyzed, combined with Members’ Shared Info and shared with and/or reviewed by Partners. Member participation in these surveys is not required, and refusal to do so will not impact a Member’s experience on the Site.
My Compassion may also report individual adverse event and drug safety information to the FDA, CDC, and/or other regulatory bodies (U.S. and international) as well as directly to pharmaceutical and biotechnology companies. My Compassion does not provide Restricted Info to such regulatory bodies, although we reserve the right to contact Members for follow-up at the request of agencies or Partners. The information My Compassion reports includes, but is not limited to, all of the information about the Member and/or free text or images on the forums or evaluations, which may include Shared Info. In addition, certain areas within our Site are provided with the support of Partners. These Partners may have adverse event reporting requirements that relate to regulated products that are used by Members of our community, and My Compassion assists such Partners with reporting adverse events to regulatory agencies.
My Compassion, like most Internet communities, is a public forum, and Members acknowledge and accept that any information shared through free text or images might be connected to Members’ Shared Info (which may be shared with, provided to, or displayed for others). For example, if a Member puts his or her name (or other Personal Information) into a free text field like the biography, forum, journals or annotations, the Member should know this information may be included in what is shared with, displayed for, or provided to Partners.
HOW RESTRICTED INFO IS USED
Restricted Info is not automatically shared with, sold to, or displayed for other Members or Partners. Specific instances where Restricted Info may be used include, but are not limited to, the following:
- If a Member provides a date of birth, the Member’s current age will be viewable via My Profile;
- If a Member registers with, or is switched to, an official doctor and research account, the Member’s full name and affiliation will be viewable via My Profile;
- If a Member chooses the Public privacy setting (see below), MyCompassion and others may use public profiles in reports, conference presentations, media mentions, etc.;
- If a Member agrees to participate in a media interview (as arranged by My Compassion), My Compassion will share the contact information the Member provides (i.e. name, email, telephone) with the reporter for the purpose of conducting an interview;
- If a Member OPTS IN to a public registry, My Compassion will display the Member’s name and some Shared Info and/or Restricted Info as part of this registry (which is viewable by anyone on the Internet);
- If a Member explicitly opts in to have their Restricted Info shared with a Partner, My Compassion will share the information as instructed by the Member (e.g. co-registration with a non-profit);
- If a Member makes a request, My Compassion may use Restricted Info, including sharing the Member’s Restricted Info with software/service vendors, for the purpose of fulfilling the request. Examples include requesting to receive the My Compassion newsletter via email, requesting an email response from the My Compassion support team, and requesting a My Compassion gift item be mailed to the Member’s residence.
There are two privacy levels a Member may choose for participation at My Compassion:
- Visible: Only My Compassion Members can see My Profile and user name, and can contact you through My Compassion;
- Public: Non-members and Members can see My Profile and user name, but only My Compassion Members can contact you through MyCompassion.
Members may change their privacy level at any time. Public profiles may be indexed or stored by Internet search engines (e.g. Google) or other independent sites, which means a Member’s Shared Info, including any Personal Information shared, may come up in the search results by anyone on the Internet, even after switching privacy levels.
Because the value of My Compassion is in sharing one’s experiences to help others, we hope that Members feel comfortable enough to make their profiles as public as possible.
OTHER SECURITY ISSUES
My Compassion cannot guarantee the identity of any other Members with whom a Member may interact in the course of using the Site or who may have access to a Member’s Shared Info. Additionally, we cannot guarantee the authenticity of any data that Members may provide about themselves.
Finally, Members should know that My Compassion takes commercially reasonable technical precautions to help keep Member data secure.
RISKS AND BENEFITS
While our goal is to help patients improve health outcomes, there are no certain benefits to using this website. However, keeping track of personal well-being, treatments, and symptoms has been shown to be helpful in improving overall health.
There are also no known risks to using this website, but there is a possibility that users may feel uncomfortable sharing information online. It is possible that a Member could be identified using information shared on My Compassion (and/or in conjunction with other data sources). A Member could be discriminated against or experience repercussions as a result of the information shared. For example, it is possible that employers, insurance companies, or others may discriminate based on health information.
In using the Site, Members are free to skip any non-required questions or data fields that make them feel uncomfortable. Members are also free to stop using this service at any time. If a Member chooses to deactivate his/her account, My Compassion will not display or sell the data in that account as of the date of deactivation. However, the Member’s data will remain in the system for auditing purposes, and research conducted prior to the deactivation of a Member’s account will still include the Member’s data.
Taylor, MI 48180